Tomorrow afternoon sees the first away game of the season with a trip to Lancashire to face Oldham Athletic. The Latics also lost their opening game of the season following a 1-0 defeat at Forest Green Rovers, they did beat Liverpool’s Under-21 team on Wednesday night in their opening fixture in the EFL Trophy.
Over the summer, Oldham have brought in 15 players in total, 13 on permanent deals and 2 on season-long loans, whilst letting 9 leave the club. Goalkeepers Gary Woods and Gregor Zabret (on loan from Swansea City) have arrived with defenders Alex Iacovitti, Zak Mills, Tomas Egert, David Wheater and Ashley Smith-Brown (on loan from Plymouth Argyle). In midfield, they have added Chris Eagles, Dylan Fage, Florian Gonzales and Callum Dolan while their forward options have been boosted by Scott Wilson, Marvin Kokos, Desire Segbe Azankpo and Kielen Adams.
Looking back in the archives, the two teams have met 78 times with Oldham leading the head-to-head with 41 wins to 18 with 19 draws. Crewe’s biggest win came in a 5-0 victory at the Alexandra Stadium in April 1959 while Oldham’s biggest win came at Boundary Park with a 4-0 win in November 1954. In the games between the two teams last season, Oldham won at the Alexandra Stadium 2-0 while the corresponding game finished 1-1.
Who are the officials for the game?
The officials for this game see Carl Boyeson as the man in the middle where he is assisted by Matthew Smith and Kevin Mulraine with Alix Pashley being the fourth official. During the last 5 seasons the following Crewe games have been refereed by Boyeson:
- Crewe Alexandra 0-0 Crawley Town (3rd April 2015)
- Crewe Alexandra 0-1 Eastleigh (7th November 2015)
- Crewe Alexandra 1-1 Blackpool (24th September 2016) – Lowe
- Lincoln City 1-4 Crewe Alexandra (27th February 2018) – Pickering, Bowery (2), Green
- Crewe Alexandra 3-0 Macclesfield Town (1st September 2018) – Kirk, Bowery (2)
- Crewe Alexandra 3-2 Tranmere Rovers (17th November 2018) – Ainley (2), Kirk
- Morecambe 2-2 Crewe Alexandra (5th January 2019) – Jones, Porter