Date: 28th January 2018 at 4:23am
Written by:

2 goals apiece from former Crewe Alexandra loanee and Port Vale striker Marc Richards and substitute Timi Elsnik gave Swindon Town a win as they came from behind to win at the County Ground yesterday afternoon against a Crewe team that led at half-time thanks to 2 goals from Callum Ainley.
Crewe manager David Artell made 3 changes from last Saturday`s home defeat to Wycombe Wanderers with Dave Richards replacing Ben Garratt in goal whilst Jordan Bowery and Harry McKirdy came in up front for the injured Chris Porter and Lewis Reilly, the latter dropping down to the bench alongside Garratt, George Ray, Tom Lowery, Harry Pickering, Dan Barlaser and the returning Shaun Miller.

The opening chance of the game came in the 3rd minute with the opening goal as Ellis Iandolo`s left-wing cross was turned in by Richards as the debutante beat his namesake from close range. The next effort also went the way of the hosts as Kaiyne Woolery was saved by Richards in the 10th minute before Ainley got Crewe back on level terms on the quarter-hour mark as he thundered the ball home after a cross was cleared to the edge of the penalty area.

Mid-way through the half and Ainley would hit the post directly from a corner in the swirling wind before Ryan Wintle had an effort cleared off the goalline from another Ainley corner minutes later. Ainley would add his second of the game just before the half-hour mark as he scored from inside the 6-yard box with his head after Charlie Kirk`s original effort was saved by Reice Charles-Cook in the Swindon goal.

After Swindon had made all 3 changes, one inforced due injury just before the break and 2 half-time tactical subs, as one of those, Elsnik, had an effort that was saved by Richards before Wintle gave the Railwaymen a 2-goal lead in the 53rd minute. As Ainley played Jordan Bowery in behind with Charles-Cook with McKirdy`s goal-bound shot turned in by the former Alsager Town man.

Swindon halved the deficit with 25 left on the clock as Elsnik curled the ball into the top corner before Richards was replaced by Garratt with the sub keeper called straight into action as Luke Norris reacted first to a poor back-pass before the Swindon man was again denied by Garratt, who turned a looping header over the bar for a corner.

Swindon scored the equaliser 10 minutes before time as Swindon attacked down their right with midfielder Elsnik hammering the ball in at the back post with Bakayago shown a second yellow card for a foul in the build-up. The winner came with 2 minutes to go as former Premier League midfielder Matty Taylor crossing the ball for Richards to score at the near post.

Crewe travel to Notts County next Saturday in our next league game.

Crewe: Richards (Garratt 72); Nolan, Walker, Raynes, Bakayago; Ainley, Green, Wintle, Kirk (Pickering 80); Bowery, McKirdy (Miller 69)

Swindon: Charles-Cook; Lancashire, Robertson, Preston, Gordon; Dunne (Elsnik 46), Banks, Iandolo (Taylor 46), Anderson; Richards, Woolery (Norris 42)