Date: 19th November 2017 at 3:17am
Written by:

2 late goals from Forest Green Rovers` Christian Doidge and Alex Iacovitti gave them the 3 points in the first ever meeting between themselves and Crewe Alexandra at the New Lawn yesterday afternoon. The visitors had twice taken the lead through Chris Porter and Jordan Bowery with Doidge cancelling out Porter`s strike.

Crewe manager David Artell made 2 changes from last Saturday`s defeat against Lincoln City with Michael Raynes and Tom Lowery both missing out due to injury with Eddie Nolan and Porter coming into the starting line-up, Josh Lundstram and Oliver Finney (who has recently returned from a loan spell at Halesowen Town) made up the bench alongside Ben Garratt, Zoumana Bakayago, Charlie Kirk, Lewis Reilly and Sam Stubbs.

The opening chance of the game came in the 9th minute with Green Devils winger Keanu Marsh-Brown hit a free-kick over the bar from 30 yards before Porter gave the Railwaymen the lead on the quarter-hour mark, heading home from 6 yards out from George Cooper`s right-wing cross.

On the half-hour mark, Iacovitti skied an effort over the bar from distance before another Cooper cross was almost turned in by his captain Dagnall a minute later after a touch from on-loan Chelsea goalkeeper Bradley Collins. The next effort from the hosts came 5 minutes before the break as midfielder Drissa Traore`s effort was saved by Crewe keeper Dave Richards but they would go in level after an equaliser just before the break as Scott Laird`s shot deflected off Doidge into the net.

Into the second half, where Crewe could have retaken the lead 5 minutes after the break with Porter heading a Harry Pickering cross from deep against the post before they did take the lead minutes later as Cooper`s cross was headed back across goal by Perry Ng with Bowery finishing from just outside the 6-yard box on the half-volley. After both teams picked up bookings for Traore and Dagnall as well as a couple of changes for Forest Green, the hosts had a decent chance to equalise 10 minutes from time with Doidge almost getting on the end of Dale Bennett`s low cross.

They did level for the second time 7 minutes before the end with Doidge turning home substitute Dan Wishart`s cross moments after hitting the post himself. The winning goal came 2 minutes into stoppage time with Crewe unable to clear a corner far enough with another sub, Manny Monthe, hitting the post with Iacovitti the first to react inside the area.

Crewe travel to Morecambe on Tuesday in our next league game.

Crewe: Richards; Ng, Walker, Nolan, Pickering; Ainley, Grant, Cooper; Bowery, Porter, Dagnall ©

Forest Green: B. Collins; Fitzwater, L. Collins, Iacovitti, Bennett; Osbourne, Traore (Monthe 78), Laird (Wishart 61); Brown, Doidge, Marsh-Brown (Bugiel 71)