Date: 26th November 2017 at 4:47am
Written by:

Second-half goals from Danny Hylton and Luke Berry were enough for table-toppers Luton Town to get their third successive victory at the Alexandra Stadium yesterday afternoon, despite Johnny Mullins late own-goal which made the final 10 minutes a little more exciting for the home faithful.

Crewe manager David Artell made 2 changes from Tuesday night`s win at Morecambe with Conor Grant and Callum Ainley coming back into the team for the injured Zoumana Bakayago and Jordan Bowery, who dropped down to the bench where he was joined by 18-year-old second-year scholar Luke Offord in his first involvement in the match-day 18 for the first team.

The opening chance of the game came in the 3rd minute with former West Ham United left-back Dan Potts` cross was volleyed wide from Hylton before Harry Cornick`s shot was blocked by Brad Walker minutes later from a Town break-away. Crewe`s first chance came on 12 minutes as Harry Pickering`s cross found Chris Porter with his cutback finding his captain, Chris Dagnall, whose effort was well saved by Marek Stech. The Czech keeper also saved from George Cooper 10 minutes later as the Alex midfielder shot from just outside the box.

Luton had the ball in the net in the 28th minute as Elliot Lee headed in a cross from brother Olly but fouled Ainley in the eyes of the referee as he got up to attack the ball. Dagnall pulled a shot wide just after the half-hour mark before Berry`s effort was deflected wide for a corner minutes before the break.

After an Alex change at the break with Ainley replaced by Bowery as Artell changed to a back 4 for the second half, Hylton opened the scoring in the 63rd minute as Elliot Lee got in down the left, getting to the by-line before cutting the ball back to his strike partner on the edge of the 6-yard box before Berry added a second 3 minutes later as substitute Andrew Shinnie robbed Walker of the ball with his cutback finding the former Cambridge man who finished from the edge of the area via a deflection.

Dave Richards made a superb save to deny Hylton after the striker was played in behind before the consolation was scored 9 minutes from time as Eddie Nolan`s cross was flicked on by Lewis Reilly with defender Mullins turning the ball past his own keeper.

Crewe travel to Ewood Park to face Blackburn Rovers in the second round of the FA Cup next Sunday afternoon in our next game.

Crewe: Richards; Walker, Stubbs, Nolan; Ainley (Bowery 45), Pickering, Ng, Grant (Reilly 72), Cooper; Porter, Dagnall ©

Luton: Stech; Stacey, Mullins, Sheehan ©, Potts; Rea, O. Lee (Famewo 90), Berry, Cornick (Shinnie 60); E. Lee (Mpanlu 84), Hylton