This afternoon sees a trip to Glanford Park to face Scunthorpe United with the Iron sitting in 14th place with the Alex looking to do the league double following a 3-1 win at the Alexandra Stadium a month ago. They have Alex Academy Alumni Junior Brown, Matty Lund and Ryan Colclough in their squad.
So far this season, they have beaten Morecambe, Northampton Town, Exeter City, Leyton Orient, Port Vale, Forest Green Rovers, Grimsby Town and Oldham Athletic, they have drawn with Crawley Town, Oldham, Bradford City twice, Plymouth Argyle, Salford City, Stevenage and Colchester United while they have lost to Swindon Town, Cheltenham Town, Cambridge United, Macclesfield Town, Carlisle United, Mansfield Town, Walsall twice, Newport County twice, us and Plymouth.
In the cups, they lost to Derby County in the EFL Cup 1st Round while they lost against Crawley Town at the same stage of the FA Cup. In the EFL Trophy, they finished second their group after beating both Grimsby and Sunderland, losing on penalties to Leicester City’s Under-21s, they beat Blackpool in Round 2 and Manchester City’s Under-21s in Round 3 before going out to Portsmouth in the Quarter-Finals.
Since the first meeting, they have made two signings with right-back Jordan Gabriel joining on loan from Nottingham Forest and midfielder Alfie Beestin joining from non-league Tadchester United. They have allowed winger Andy Dales and left-back Lewis Butroid to join Hamilton Academical and Spennymoor Town, both on loan.
Looking back in the archives, the two teams have met 75 times with Scunthorpe leading the head-to-head with 29 wins to 23 with 23 draws. Crewe’s biggest win came in a 4-0 victory at the Alexandra Stadium in March 1986 while Scunthorpe’s biggest win came at Glanford Park in October 2013 where they won 3-0.
Who are the officials for the game?
The officials for this game see Christopher Sarginson as the man in the middle where he is assisted by Marc Wilson and Stephen Wade with Geoffrey Liddle being the fourth official. Here are the Crewe games that have been refereed by Sarginson in the previous 5 years:
- Coventry City 1-3 Crewe Alexandra (25th April 2015) – Dalla Valle, Colclough, Haber
- Colchester United 2-3 Crewe Alexandra (24th November 2015) – Colclough, Haber, Lowe
- Crewe Alexandra 0-1 Yeovil Town (22nd October 2016)
- Grimsby Town 1-0 Crewe Alexandra (2nd September 2017)
- Forest Green Rovers 3-2 Crewe Alexandra (18th November 2017) – Porter, Bowery
- Carlisle United 1-0 Crewe Alexandra (13th January 2018)
- Crewe Alexandra 0-3 Mansfield Town (30th October 2018)
- Crewe Alexandra 2-1 Lincoln City (26th December 2018) – Porter, Jones