Date: 16th September 2018 at 12:00pm
Written by:
Cheltenham Town
0 – 0
Crewe Alexandra

Whaddon Road

League 2

15/09/2018 3:00 pm

Referee: Brett Huxtable

Cheltenham Town Crewe Alexandra
Flinders Garratt
Forster Whelan
Mullins Ng
Boyle Ray
Alcock 55 Hunt
Atangana Ainley 80
Broom Wintle
Maddox Kirk
Mooney 64 Bowery
78 Nicholls 64


Lovett Richards
Thomas Raynes
Duku 78 Porter 64
Lloyd Miller
Baldwin 55 Lowery
Jones 64 Finney
Clements O'Connor

Game Statistics

17 Goal attempts 8
5 On Target 2
11 Corners 3
9 Fouls 12
2 Yellow Cards 1
0 Red Cards 0
50 % 50

Crewe Alexandra picked up their first point on the road with a goal-less draw at Cheltenham Town’s Whaddon Road yesterday afternoon.

Manager David Artell made 4 changes from the EFL Trophy game at Tranmere 12 days ago as Corey Whelan came in to make his debut for fellow loanee Kevin O’Connor at the back (Nicky Hunt switching across to left-back), Ryan Wintle came into central midfield for Tom Lowery, Charlie Kirk came in on the left-wing and Jordan Bowery up front as they replaced strikers Chris Porter and Shaun Miller allowing Alex Nicholls to move back up top. The 4 that dropped out went to the bench alongside Michael Raynes, Ollie Finney and substitute keeper Dave Richards.

In a game with few chances, Will Boyle had his header tipped over by Ben Garratt for the hosts whilst Perry Ng had his effort saved by Scott Flinders from a James Jones free-kick before chances for defenders Whelan and George Ray couldn’t see the Alex in front before the break.

Into the second half where Ryan Broom shot from the edge of the area before the midfielder had another effort saved well by Garratt. Nicholls was next to have a shot but it trickled past the post from Jones’ centre before Tyrone Barnett was denied by a block on the goal-line by an Alex defender on the hour-mark.

More chances in the final quarter of the game as substitute Chris Porter headed wide whilst Nigel Atangana tried to bend one past Garratt but couldn’t get the finish he was after. Crewe almost took all 3 points in stoppage-time as Kirk was allowed to run half the length of the pitch before his cross found Ryan Wintle with Flinders making a stunning save as both keepers were on top all afternoon.

The next fixture sees a local derby against Port Vale next Saturday at the Alexandra Stadium.